Saturday, February 11, 2006

The Taming

Here is the first book in my book blog. This info has been cut and past of the
Christchurch City Libraries catalogue. It is a wonderful resource for several reasons - it has the summaries or blurb of the books and also a large number have a images of the covers

The taming / Victoria McHalick.
Author:
McHalick, Victoria.
Summary:
Hamish Harrison lives with his mum, a menagerie of animals, ever-present money worries and the social problems of a boy more inclined to music than sport. On the brink of his teenage years, the trials of family life seem less important when the concert pianist next door offers to teach him play.


I chose this book from our bookgroup box becasue it was a New Zealand title and the cover and story appealed. It had a slow begining but nicely formed characters emerged. The only thing I could say is that I thought a few too many issues might have been added to the plot. However, it has a positive ending and it was well written. Initially I wondered if the voice of the boy was too old and thought it was quite feminine but eventually I think Hamish found his 'voice'. I am guessing the pet rabbit 'Snowflake' was a metaphor for purity and life etc. Without revealing too much, I am thinking that the survival of the rabbit so obviously paralleled the survival of Hamish. So, although not a stunning book 'The taming' was a nice read.

No comments: